May 6, 2005

Do whatever your mother taught you to do.

My Madisonian co-bloggers are all blogging about Mother's Day, which I've blogged about only in the context of making fun of a moronic ad. Tonya is training her son to behave properly on days of celebration. And in Tonya's comments, Nina's all "To be able to celebrate another with full pomp and ceremony, down to the last flower, is totally awesome." Nina, on her own blog, is writing about Mother's Day in her usual elliptical style. Oscar has a kind of tribute to "Blogger Moms" and links to me. Am I supposed to be one of the "Moms Who Blog"? Much as I like links and recognition in general, I don't belong on a list of "Moms Who Blog." There are plenty of women who blog about being mothers, and they should be linked on the occasion of Mother's Day. But not by me: I don't read blogs like that and have no idea which ones are good. While I may mention an occasional thing about one of my sons, it's not the main thing I do over here. This isn't a Momblog. Do I have anything to say about Mother's Day? Well, I just got everyone twisted up over my complaints about big weddings, so maybe I shouldn't kick another one of femaledom's sacred cows. I should find a sacred bull to kick. I won't interfere with your weekend of maternal adoration. Do whatever your mother taught you to do. About everything.

UPDATE: Is this post too cranky? I say no. I'd be irked to be called a Law Professor Mom, after all. I'm taking a feminist position here. But I did want to add that Tonya's dialogues with her son are really hilarious. So, though I don't read Momblogs, I do always read Tonya's blog, and I highly recommend the post linked above, which has one of those dialogues.

6 comments:

Mark Daniels said...

I've never understood why we don't call the upcoming holiday Mothers' Day, rather than Mother's Day. After all, we're honoring more than just one mother. We're honoring all mothers...even those who don't publish momblogs.

Ann Althouse said...

Mark: I think it's because we're not celebrating all mothers, as we celebrate all veterans on Veterans Day. You supposed to celebrate your mother. Your mother doesn't want you celebrating everybody else's mother. People whose mothers have died or who are estranged from their mothers don't do anything for Mother's Day.

Irene Done said...

Cranky? Not really. The charm of your blog is that it cannot be easily categorized.

Unknown said...

Mother's Day grated on my mother--she thught it was commercial exploitation, or so she said. Maybe it's the unsentimenalist midwestern thing?

Robyn said...

Cranky - not at all! I stand with you on the big weddings and on the mother's day thing. My kids have 364 other days a year to let me know I'm appreicated. Stuff forced love and appreciation in the tube.

Ann Althouse said...

Chronicler: Yes, Mother's Day is letting them off the hook, like an apology. Real respect and love for mother should come every day, as should love for children.