June 11, 2009

"We all know that Dithers Enterprises is a terrifying corporate police state..."

"... but I find today’s installment of Panopticon Follies to be a little much. What’s most disturbing is the punchline, which revolves not around the fact that Dagwood is being tracked like a dangerous criminal or an experimental animal, but that he spent the bulk of his work day desperately trying to wriggle out of his ankle bracelet rather than slaving away on whatever slave-labor tasks Dithers has set for him. The only way it could be more unsettling would be if Blondie offered him a foot-long sandwich and he pointed to his bloody ankle-stump and said 'No need, honey! I ate at the office!'"

8 comments:

Chase said...

The link didn't work.

I believe this is where you want to go: Comics Curmudgeon

Ann Althouse said...

Oh, sorry. Thx. Fixed.

KCFleming said...

Most comics evince existential horror.

Well, when you're 50 they do.

The Dude said...

Pogo! Dude! I used to believe you, and Albert and mam'selle Hepzibah and Simple J. Malarky - what has happened to you? Did the beauty of the forest primeval get you in the feet? Have you met the enemy?

KCFleming said...

heh.

Gotta admit, I still pull out the old Pogo books and read them through. Great drawings and unique writing.


Apologies for my recent funk.

Kate Gosselin said...

At least this Dagwood has a job. Do you know what it's like to have 8 kids and watch them all day while your husband is supposedly "fixing the fence on our estate" but is really visiting the whores down the street? I like the idea of the ankle bracelet to keep track of folks though. Because of my kids and all . . .

Ralph L said...

Wow, someone still draws Mary Worth. I thought she must be dead by now.

Chip Ahoy said...

The dog kills me. He's drawn to heel along, appearing totally interested in the conversation, and nonplussed at Dagwood messing around all day. All in three panels. Now that's art!