September 13, 2010

"The aesthetics of Men in Shorts is a little different when it is carbon fiber and aluminum on display, don't you think?"

The Elder tweaks me on a subject I did not raise in my post about the MWAGA tournament. He also says:
Thank you, Ann, for your kind words and for the two of you spending the weekend at the tournament. 
Thanks for the kind words from other Commenters. By this age, we have all encountered some pain and loss in our lives. It's just more visible for some of us.
And more visible in shorts for "the leg guys." That term in quotes is used by The Elder, who presumably considers himself himself one of "the arm guys." (Yesterday, I heard the terms "amps" and "normies.")

My "Men in Shorts" opinion always contained exceptions. My original post made "a small exception for certain sports, or if you are staying at home or in your own yard." I've made some other exceptions over the years — such as "winter vigor" and "hot enough" (either in temperature — over 85° — or what this guy is). So, sure, an exception for "the leg guys." And an exception for "the arm guys" who golfed with them, who had great legs of the fleshly variety.

***

"By this age, we have all encountered some pain and loss in our lives. It's just more visible for some of us." Yes, there are those of us who've lost parts of our character, our honesty, our respect and love for others, and our joy in living. That shows too, but it is harder to see. And there's no skimpy garment that makes it any easier.

16 comments:

MadisonMan said...

I walked by the Meadhouse yesterday -- going from watching the IronMan (TM) race at the Old U/Walnut corner to Trader Joes -- and can only hope that you didn't look out and see me in shorts. That house across the street -- they were painting the railings -- is HUGE!

Scott M said...

So...you're wishy-washy on the whole affirmative short action for bionics? Sounds like an indefensible position if ever there was one.

Besides, everyone knows bionics are cooler than both pirates AND ninjas.

MadisonMan said...

I appreciate being able to see prosthetics on people, by the way, so I vote for shorts. Especially at such a golf tournament. Who among the able-bodied spectators is not going to be curious about the participants?

It makes me think how lucky I am to be intact. I also show more patience and give them a little latitude as far as maneuverability is concerned. I also like seeing how the prosthetics work.

AllenS said...

I have a nasty scar from a gunshot wound on the outside of my left leg below the knee. The skin graft is the only thing that is covering the fibula. I wear shorts and could care less what anyone thinks.

Scott M said...

I wear shorts and could care less what anyone thinks.

All well and good, but are you cooler than a pirate or a ninja?

garage mahal said...

I learned my friend's father had a prosthetic leg, wood I think, while ice fishing. He was scooping some holes clear of ice, and he rapped the metal scoop real hard on his leg to rid it of ice that always frezzes and collects on it. And I'm like "holy shit, did you see your Dad"? And my friend said "yea, he's got a fake leg".

Shanna said...

"hot enough" (either in temperature — over 85°

So...basically the whole south is exempt from April to September?

ricpic said...

I'm supposed to applaud those who show character and love life and are lovable...in their youth? Big deal. It's a snap then. The test comes later. Not that there's anything to applaud in the old either. But those who haven't become completely skewed in age? Yes, them I applaud.

kjbe said...

I don’t know that I agree that it is harder to see. When you’ve been there yourself (lost, damaged, or see yourself as not-a-normie) it's very easy (even painfully easy) to recognize.

former law student said...

Yesterday, I heard the terms "amps" and "normies."

I remember being surprised to learn, via a public service announcement, that the Canadian equivalent of the US Disabled American Veterans bluntly calls themselves "The War Amps." Supporting themselves by making and selling keyring identification tags and address labels, they also help child amputees through their CHAMPS program.

Who here remembers that the DAV sent every car owner miniature license plates to hang on their key rings, hoping for a donation? The mini plates were used to reunite keys and owners some how.

KCFleming said...

"When you’ve been there yourself (lost, damaged, or see yourself as not-a-normie) it's very easy (even painfully easy) to recognize."


Absolutely true.
Almost like you can smell it a mile away.

Alex said...

I agree with Althouse - men in shorts is a bad idea. Unless you're on safari or playing tennis, there is no excuse.

Unknown said...

It all came about because of people's refusing to wear cravats with enough lace anymore! Knickers! What the hell happened to knickers? You'd think powdered wigs were bad, considering how infrequently they appear anymore.

Fashion. House of idiots. Run by little dictators.

Ralph L said...

And there's no skimpy garment that makes it any easier
For men, a skimpy garment on the right person makes it a lot easier.

Trooper York said...

MadisonMan you have to watch that stalking thingy.

They have laws about that sort of stuff now. Just sayn.

dick said...

I looked through some of the spring 2011 fashions for men in the NYT yesterday. Althouse is not gonna like the fashions a whole lot. Most of them concentrated on shorts for men - and lousy looking ones as well.