November 12, 2013

"While the craze over regional mascots continues, recent mishaps involving some characters shows not everything is rosy in the 'yuru-kyara' (soft character) industry."

The Japan Times reports:
Late last month, the city of Tosu, Saga Prefecture, population of 72,000, halted all PR activities tied to its official character, Totto-chan... made several comments suggestive of female genitalia during the show....

Hyakuman-san, the official character of Ishikawa Prefecture... became a bone of contention in the prefectural assembly last month, after some members attacked the design of the Daruma doll-inspired, mustachioed mascot as being “ugly” and “unpleasant.”
You call this unpleasant?



That is essence of pleasant in my book.

Daruma doll, eh?

I'd say more like somebody took LSD and found and found an old can of Pringles.

11 comments:

Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

Daruma = Japanese for "dharma." The dolls are modeled after Bodhidharma, the 5th-6th century Indian or Persian who brought Zen (Chan) to China. "Japan's darmua doll reminds us to never, ever give up on our dreams." If you find your dreams adequately represented in a red papier-machĂȘ figurine of a roly-poly little man with a mustache.

lemondog said...

Japan's darmua doll reminds us to never, ever give up on our dreams.

Thanks RLC

About Daruma Doll

Now I'm considering buying one.

Ann Althouse said...

I'm beginning to think that LSD and Pringles were part of a plot to convert Americans to Buddhism. The LSD part was clear from back in the 60s. Especially clear if you took LSD. But the Pringles… the Pringles!… now that was deviously clever.

Rob said...

Yeah, I got your bone of contention right here.

Heartless Aztec said...

Brown acid.

Rusty said...

Japanese are weird. I don't think they need drugs to come up with this kind a shit.

Anonymous said...

Japanese don't care much for transvestites.

lemondog said...

The Dharma Bums predated Pringles by at least a decade.

traditionalguy said...

They are sort of like Rush Limbaugh expostulating at a costume party.



3john2 said...

The image - and the LSD - makes me think of Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD, the "Nowhere Man" from the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" (which also happens to be my grandson's favorite e-book):

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nowhere+man+images&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=5DC8202A4CA08A13E2D55DC8202A4CA08A13E2D5

William said...

I've seen those raked pebbles Zen stone gardens. I don't understand what's going on, but I understand that my lack of understanding is stupidity on my part. I don't understand what's going on with these dolls, but I don't think that serious collectors have got a leg up on me in their comprehension of the universe.....Well, I never thought that bukkake would catch on either.