December 25, 2013

"My family began to legitimately believe that my favorite thing in the world was hot sauce."

"If I 'forgot' to put hot sauce on my food, they helpfully reminded me. They consistently brought home newer, spicier, weirder hot sauces for me to try. For Christmas that year, Santa gave me a whole case of hot sauce. Being a child, I was devastated that a potential toy had been replaced by those bottles of painful torture, but I couldn’t let anyone know. At that point, I was starting to feel more and more at peace with the idea of admitting failure, but it was too late. I’d been pretending for long enough that it would be too weird and embarrassing to explain myself. There was no choice but to maintain the illusion."

A passage from Allie Brosh's "Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened," found today because I'm searching for "Christmas" in my Kindle books.

6 comments:

ALP said...

Allie Brosh! Her cartoons are "piss in your pants" funny! What a nice Christmas gift to be reminded of Allie Brosh. I had been waiting for her to recover from her depression to start posting cartoons again (or finish her book). But I had stopped checking out of frustration.

If you have not viewed her dog-themed cartoons, you MUST. The cartoon "God of Cake" is also a good one.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/

ALP said...

David Sedaris. Amy Brosh is the new David Sedaris - with funny cartoons. A mad genius.

ALP said...

And I did NOT see the David Sedaris post until after I posted mine. A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!

Deirdre Mundy said...

Hooray! She;s drawing again!!!! Thanks for posting this, Ann!!!!

Starfish said...

How have you found reading her material on Kindle? I have been wary of reading on Kindle anything at least partially graphic.

Starfish said...

How have you found reading her material on Kindle? I have been wary of reading on Kindle anything at least partially graphic.