September 9, 2015

Escape artist nearly kills himself trying to replicate Houdini's old buried-alive-in-handcuffs trick.

After 9 minutes, Antony Britton's helpers dig him up, get the dirt out of his mouth and throat, and give him oxygen.
"All I remember is, literally your life goes before your eyes. Really. And then I just passed out. It was really weird because I’m not saying I heard noises but my family was talking to me. Just before I passed out I could see both my grandfathers talking to me as if I was a kid. It’s quite emotional when I think back what I went through. It fills me up. Then I just passed out and the next thing I know they dug me up and dragged me out."

14 comments:

Bob Boyd said...

"Kid, you're an idiot." - Antony's grandfather's ghost.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Back when I was a programmer we called that a core dump.

Humperdink said...

Honorable mention (Darwin Award).

MadisonMan said...

Better luck next time?

Rusty said...

Humperdink said...
Honorable mention (Darwin Award).


I suspect he'll eventually get it right.

Big Mike said...

Kid, I knew Harry Houdini and you are no Harry Houdini.

mikee said...

I recall, distinctly, that as I once again headed over the bicycle handlebars on my way to another really disastrous fall, the only thought that went through my head was, "Oh Shit! Not This Again." Capital letters and all.

I await the report on this escape artist's next attempt at this trick, and expect his report will be similar to my own experience.



rhhardin said...

Houdini escaping from New Jersey Kliban

AllenS said...

Hold my beer, and watch this...

Mary Beth said...

"Oh Shit! Not This Again."

You and the bowl of petunias.

tim maguire said...

I was hoping for better than Darwin Award references. People die doing what they love all the time, that doesn't mean they were stupid, or their life less precious, for loving it. Imagine how boring life would be if people lived as though that were true.

More like mikee and Mary Beth, please (mikee's post made me think of petunias too).

Joe said...

I find Harry Houdini interesting, but have never understood how these are "tricks". Plus, I think Mr. Britton missed the part where Houdini cheated like hell.

Carnifex said...

"For my next trick I will need a pair of unsoiled underwear!"

mikee said...

tim m, My bicycle wrecks all preceded Doug Adams' famous works, so I feel both of us were tapping into a somewhat universal response to repetitive disaster in our similar responses to them.

Research continues on the extent of this response in subjects ranging from petunias to bicyclists to presidential candidates. (I'm looking right at my governor, Rick Perry!)