November 12, 2008

"I'm looking around, and I realize, this guy having a tuque on has really great boots on, these sort of cowboy, motorcycle boots..."

"And he was wearing really nice leather pants. And I realize I'm staring face-to-face with Bob Dylan," says John Kiernan, the owner of the house that Neil Young grew up in. Dylan was in town -- Winnipeg -- for a concert. Imagine looking out your window, and there is Bob Dylan. You could tell by the high quality of the leather that it's not just anybody. Kiernan brought the superhuman musician inside for a house tour.
"OK, so this was his view, and this was where he listened to his music,"recalls Tiernan. "It suddenly dawned on me, when you're looking at Bob Dylan standing in a hallway, that he had a very parallel experience 200 miles to the south, sitting in his room, listening to his music, looking out his window."

Dylan grew up Hibbing, MN, about 500 km from Winnipeg, so he saw it as a parallel experience.
Oh, the great superhuman musicians of the north!
When I was a young boy,
My mama said to me
Your daddy's leavin' home today,
I think he's gone to stay.
We packed up all our bags
And drove out to Winnipeg.
When we got to Winnipeg
I checked in to school.
I wore white bucks on my feet,
When I learned the golden rule.
The punches came fast and hard
Lying on my back
in the school yard.

Don't be denied, don't be denied.
Don't be denied, don't be denied.
Don't be denied, don't be denied.

13 comments:

Meade said...

After he tuque from you everything he could steal...

John Stodder said...

You're quoting one of Neil Young's best songs, which no one can buy anymore. Neil doesn't like how "Time Fades Away" sounds, so he's never allowed a CD release of it.

I also want to plug the new "bootleg" collection, "Tell Tale Signs." Best thing I've heard in years. It is hard to believe that some of these songs could have been considered outtakes or couldn't be fit onto official albums. You listen to this and you come away thinking Dylan's most fertile period is the past 15 years, that maybe it's all been leading up to this.

Meade said...

Ann Althouse said...
"LOL"

Ya little dylannerd.

Paul Brinkley said...

I remember one time when I came face to face with a music legend. In that case, I could tell by the quality of the leather that it was Keith Richards. But I digress.

Meade said...

It Takes A Lot To Laugh Out Loud, It Takes A Canadian National Railway Train To Cry All The Way From Winnipeg Straight Through To Hibbing

Smilin' Jack said...

...this guy having a tuque on has really great boots on, these sort of cowboy, motorcycle boots...

Were they Boots of Spanish Leather?

ricpic said...

Robert Zimmerman shaved his payos and became a western style warbler and ranter,
Escaping his fate: an occasion to really screw up as a mumbling, croaky cantor.

Anonymous said...

I thought Dylan was from New York City - from the East Village.

Are you telling me he is from MN?

He's got no street cred?

I'm reevaluating everything I once thought I knew.

john said...

Sorry Madison, the Canadian National Railway does not pass through Hibbing.

His parents are buried in Duluth. Lots of pebbles on their stone.

Wince said...

Dylan was in town for a three night stand on his Oh Mercy Tour with GE Smith and others. Something of a comeback album, produced by Daniel Lanois.

I worked his dressing each night, so it had to be the second or third night when I was reading a newspaper that had a glowing review of an earlier show. Obviously, I would have hid it if it were negative.

I was quite surprised to look up and notice Dylan rubbernecking over my shoulder to see the article after he detected the positive headline. He did that a few times before he asked me to borrow the paper. He took it inside his dressing room and closed the door.

So much for the enigma. We all like to be appreciated.

amba said...

You listen to this and you come away thinking Dylan's most fertile period is the past 15 years.

THere was a clip on TV when it came out of Dylan singing "Things Have Changed." I absolutely loved this wised-up, evil, leathery old Dylan. Age suits him much better than youth did.

sg said...

BTW, for you listeners of Bob Dylan's "Theme Time Radio Hour" on what is now Sirius XM, some things have changed post-merger...

- TTRH now comes on an hour later on Wed. AM, at 11 AM EST/10 AM CST on XM 40 Deep Tracks. AFAICT, all other broadcast times are unchanged.

- XM 2 is caput, there are no longer the all-day rebroadcasts of TTRH on this channel.

Good news: XM Led is back on XM 39!

JohnnyRussia said...

Bringing it all back home.

http://www.jackrabbitcafe.blogspot.com